Now Accepting Blue Cross Blue Shield. Call Today!

Cigna Rehab & Addiction Treatment Coverage

Last Updated: September 20, 2023

Editorial Policy | Research Policy

The Recovery Village Kansas City is in-network with major insurance companies, including Cigna, making treatment accessible and affordable.

Rehab programs, including residential treatment, offer many options to help cover the costs. Most insurance companies provide extensive coverage for rehab costs on a residential and outpatient basis. Cigna offers comprehensive rehab coverage under most policies.

Cigna Provider Overview

Cigna is a global company providing health insurance to over 180 million people worldwide. Their coverage varies depending on the plan, but most include treatment for substance use disorders.

Cigna Plans and Coverage Levels

Cigna offers different health insurance plans to individuals, families and employers. These plans’ features depend on factors such as your state, employer and qualifications for government-funded healthcare. Additionally, the type of plan you have may differ depending on whether you obtained your insurance from the Affordable Care Act federal marketplace or your employer.

Plan types include:

  • Exclusive provider organization (EPO): If you have an EPO plan, you can choose a primary provider from the plan network. It’s important to note that if you receive treatment outside of the network, it’s unlikely to be covered by your EPO plan.
  • Point-of-service (POS): With POS plans, you can get low-cost care if you choose a primary provider within the network. To see a specialist, you need a referral. You can also see providers outside the network, which will cost more.
  • Health maintenance organization (HMO): If you have a Cigna HMO plan, you select a primary provider from a local network of providers. HMO plans generally cost less than other insurance plans, but you must receive care within the network.
  • Preferred provider organization (PPO): A PPO offers a large network of healthcare providers, which means you can choose from a broad range of doctors and hospitals. You won’t have to pick a primary care physician and don’t need a referral to see a specialist.

Coverage levels typically included in PPO and HMO plans from Cigna include:

  • Bronze: With a Bronze Cigna plan, you are responsible for 40% of your care, and the plan will pay around 60% of the costs. Bronze plans have the lowest premiums.
  • Silver: You pay 30% of your care for Silver plans, and the plan pays around 70%. These plans have higher premiums than Bronze plans.
  • Gold: If you have a Cigna Gold plan, you will be responsible for paying approximately 20% of your care expenses, while the insurance company will cover the remaining 80%.
  • Platinum: Cigna’s Platinum plan covers about 90% of treatment costs, with the remaining 10% being your responsibility. These plans have the highest premiums.

Does Cigna Insurance Cover Drug and Alcohol Rehab?

Cigna usually covers drug and alcohol rehab, but it depends on your plan and medical needs. Due to the Affordable Care Act, substance use disorders are considered essential health conditions and must be covered by insurers. This may include: 

  • Medical detox
  • Residential treatment
  • Partial hospitalization programs
  • Intensive outpatient rehab

Cigna Mental Health Services Coverage

When someone struggles with substance use, they often also have a mental health condition. It’s important to treat both issues simultaneously, known as dual-diagnosis treatment. Cigna can often help pay for mental health services, including some behavioral therapies, like cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT), dialectical behavioral therapy (DBT) and eye movement desensitization and reprocessing (EMDR). However, the specifics depend on your plan.

Cigna and Medication-Assisted Treatment

Medication-assisted treatment (MAT) is an effective way to treat addiction using certain medicines when medically necessary. FDA-approved medication can help relieve cravings and withdrawal symptoms in people with opioid and alcohol use disorders. Cigna is likely to cover medications, including:

  • Suboxone
  • Subutex
  • Sublocade
  • Vivitrol
  • Gabapentin

Cigna Length of Treatment

At The Recovery Village Kansas City, we understand that each person has unique needs, which should guide the care they receive. Our treatment durations are designed to accommodate these unique needs and typically last 30, 60 or 90 days. The total stay is 45–60 days for most patients. Medical detox typically lasts 7–10 days. 

It’s important to note that the length of treatment coverage provided by Cigna depends on your plan and clinical needs. We encourage you to check your plan for details.

Kansas City Rehab That Accepts Cigna

If you have Cigna insurance and are seeking addiction treatment, The Recovery Village Kansas City can help. We offer effective, physician-led rehab services, and our team of Recovery Advocates can assist you in understanding your coverage and out-of-pocket costs. You can easily verify your insurance coverage using our online tool or reach out to us directly for guidance. We encourage you to take the next step towards recovery and contact a Recovery Advocate today.


Abraham, Amanda J. Ph.D., et al. “The Affordable Care Act Transformation of Substance Use Disorder Treatment.” NIH National Library of Medicine, January 2017. Accessed June 26, 2023.

Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA). “Medications for Substance Use Disorders.” April 25, 2023. Accessed June 26, 2023.